The National Center for Transit Research (NCTR) is located at the Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) at the University of South Florida (USF). The following provides more information about CUTR and USF.
PURPOSE AND GOALS
NCTR’s purpose is to make public transportation and alternative forms of transportation, including managed lanes, safe, effective, efficient, desirable, and secure. The goals of NCTR are to:
- Minimize traffic congestion
- Maximize mobility options
- Promote safety and security
- Improve the environment
- Enhance community sustainability
These goals will be accomplished by conducting applied and advanced research, energetically disseminating the results, and expanding the workforce of transportation professionals through education and training to address the challenges and opportunities of the future.
Overview of CUTR
- The Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) at the University of South Florida, established in 1988, is an internationally recognized resource for policymakers, transportation professionals, and the public. CUTR provides high quality, objective expertise in the form of insightful research, in-depth policy analysis, comprehensive training and education, and effective technical assistance that translates directly into benefits for CUTR’s project sponsors. CUTR’s faculty of 37 full-time researchers, and 57 students, combines academic knowledge and extensive “real world” experience in developing innovative, implementable solutions for all modes of transportation. The multidisciplinary research faculty includes experts in economics, planning, engineering, public policy, and geography. CUTR receives over $13 million per year in contracts and grants to support its research, education, training and technical assistance missions. CUTR also is the home for the National Center for Transit Research and the National Bus Rapid Transit Institute.The University of South Florida (USF), established in 1956 as a public university, is a comprehensive multi-campus research university serving more than 47,000 students. The USF System is an evolving multi-campus system of higher education with fiscally autonomous, yet complementary, campuses in Tampa (including USF Health), St. Petersburg, and Sarasota/Manatee. USF is home to medical clinics and hospitals, a major mental health research institute, and two public broadcasting stations. The University employs more than 1585 full-time instructional faculty, over 4500 full-time staff. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference, has a $1.8 billion annual budget, and an annual economic impact of $3.2 billion. The University of South Florida is one of the nation’s top 63 public research universities and one of only 25 public research universities nationwide with very high research activity that is designated as community engaged by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. According to the National Science Foundation, USF is ranked 44th in total research expenditures and 38th in federal research expenditures for public universities.
CUTR’s Mission, Vision, and Guiding Principles
- We solve community challenges through transportation research, workforce development, and outreach.
- We will be the preeminent and internationally recognized catalyst for transportation innovation.
- We value integrity and believe uncompromising integrity is indispensable to our mission.
- We value dignity, respect, and open and honest communication.
- We value creativity and encourage it in thought, process and action.
- We value, encourage, and promote a healthy work / life balance, while remaining committed to excellence.
- We value and honor community service and charitable activities.
- We value objectivity and strive to remain impartial in our work, and to operate in the most unbiased way possible.
- We value excellence, which permeates all of CUTR’s other organizational values.
- We value collaboration as a means for bringing unique perspectives, additional skills and new ideas to improve customer satisfaction and productivity.
- We value diversity as an integral part of who we are and how we operate.
- We value entrepreneurship as demonstrated through our encouragement of initiative and ingenuity in our employees.